Protein skimmer is known as an aquarium device that is used primarily as the remover of dissolved organic compounds in aquariums. Skimmers have a good benefit that removes dissolved organics before it has a chance of breaking down and become a food source for harmful bacteria.
Protein skimmer also has drawbacks and one of it is that it tends to be expensive and also remove some beneficial bacteria like phytoplankton. It can also have the downside of making the tank’s environment unbalanced due to the removal of important substances.
Types of Protein Skimmers
The best protein skimmer for reef tank can be assessed by each individual. You should just be aware of its functions and importance and you can now think of what specific product to buy. Protein skimmers are available in different types.
· Counter Current. The water or air mixture are forced through a counter-current in the skimmer and supposed to have a longer contact time for the bubbles to attract organics.
· Needle Wheel. It uses spoke wheel which chops and spins the water producing fine bubbles. It is also available in mesh wheel.
· Co-current. This has an airstone at the bottom which is producing the air bubbles. This is one of the best types of skimmers that people opt to choose.
· Venturi. This uses a venture valve to mix air and water. The valve can usually be seen on the intake tube coming into the skimmer.
· Spray Induction. Tiny bubbles are created for the water comes into the skimmer is forced through a spray nozzle.
· Downdraft and Beckett. This is found in larger forms and has a part which mixes the air and water and producing the bubbles we see in a certain tank where this is used or installed.
Best Protein Skimmer for Reef Tank
Choosing the protein skimmer for reef tank will be based on your preference and budget as well as the need for your tank. It is not limited to a cheap one with a bad quality, but with a good quality set aside the amount as long as it hits your budget. You can choose from different protein skimmer available in the market.
1. Comline DOC Protein Skimmer 9001
This is a skimmer designed for nano aquariums that contain up to 37 gallons. It is a compact device with a dimension of 4.3 x. 2.5 x 8.5 inches which comes with needle wheel pump and magnet holder.
2. Bubble Magus Curve 5 Protein Skimmer
The device is made to be used for tanks up to 140 gallons. It has an 8W pump which does its job properly and serving its purpose well. It has a break in period of two to three days so it is recommended to be placed above the recommended water level.
3. Reef Octopus NS-80 Nano Protein Skimmer
This skimmer is ideal for small aquariums with a range of 8-5 gallons. It is remarkable on the market today though you can have it at a cheap price. Being small is not limited for this product since there are features included which you can usually found in larger models.